While the Playground app marks incorrect keystrokes in red on the interactive sheet music, there are some cases in which issues with your keyboard settings will cause unwanted red notes to appear on the staff. In rare cases, these red notes will continue to appear on top of green notes, thus rendering a 100% score impossible. The following troubleshooting options should be explored in order to resolve this problem:
1. If your keyboard has a setting for "Local Control," set it to OFF. Most keyboards have this set to ON by default. Refer to your keyboard's owner's manual for specific instructions on how to do this. Local Control is a MIDI parameter that controls the keyboard's internal tone generator. When using Playground, the application receives MIDI information, or data, from the keyboard and renders corresponding sounds through the in-app MIDI piano, while also displaying the keystrokes on the staff. If the Local Control is set to on, the keyboard will produce a duplicate signal from its internal tone generator, thus resulting in two overlapping outputs in the Playground app.
2. If your keyboard has multiple MIDI Channels, make sure only one is selected. The interface for controlling MIDI channels varies with each keyboard model. In most cases, the owner's manual should help in selecting these channels. For example, follow these instructions if you are using the Studiologic SL88 keyboard, or if your keyboard has a similar interface:
- Find the display screen for the MIDI channels, located in the middle of the keyboard.
- Use the joystick to select channel two.
- Depress the joystick to disable this channel.
- Follow the same procedure to disable channels three and four.
- Restart the Playground app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to configure your keyboard.
Complex keyboard issues are solved, and documented, on a case by case basis. The problems are usually linked to unique models, so there is a chance that another user has experienced a similar problem with the same keyboard. If your keyboard is still not working properly, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
a. What device you're running Playground on
b. What brand & model keyboard you're using
c. Any cables and/or adapters you are using in your set up